Sunday, December 21, 2008

Roundball Update Part 2

Dawgs win! By one...in overtime....at home....against Wofford....on one of those shots where you just sort of launch it in the general direction of the basket.....after Wofford missed two free throws to ice it....and after Wofford out-rebounded all day and forced 19 turnovers. Here's the AJC take on the game. I keep telling myself that after losing Sundiata and Dave Bliss, and after Billy Humphrey getting thrown off the team, I shouldn't expect too much. Dustin Ware and Trey Thompkins are talented, but they are young.

Here's where the whiny fan complaining starts:

On the other hand, isn't there an excuse every year? Why do so many players get kicked off the team? This is no longer a Jim Harrick-hangover situation. By the way, I can't help but think that Harrick could get 20 wins out of any group of players you gave him. Last year's SEC tourney was great, but has there honestly been a single other bright spot in six years?

Is this the sort of quote you want to hear the coach make after a game against the Wofford Terriers? “I told the guys that this was an example of how, no matter how grim things might look, how important it is to continue to play, to give yourself a chance, even if you win by luck.”

6-10 in the conference with no off-the-court issues is the Mendoza line in my imaginary world where I get to pick the coach. Winning the Derrick Favors sweepstakes would go a long way as well. Felton has to show that his program is on the right track. I expect...no, I demand relevance in March (picture me banging my fist on a desk). As I heard someone else put it - the state university with one of the biggest athletic budgets in the country and located 60 miles from Atlanta. That should be enough to have a Sweet 16 team year in and year out.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home